Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Wilhelm, Baker & Dube Reflection (Chapters 1 & 2)

"Strategic Reading, Guiding Students to Lifelong Literacy" Wilhelm, Dube and Baker argued many different theories, ideas and definitions of what teaching literacy should be like.  I was astounded when they mentioned how it is predicted that 95% of elementary school teachers use the basal reader as the curriculum.  The basal reader is a good way to find ideas on how to run a curriculum but it totally goes against the ideas Wilhelm, Dube and Baker stand by in these chapters.
The contributors kept stressing the idea of "Teaching must be reconceived as 'guiding students to more competent learning performances.'"  They also stood by the theory of having students in The Zone of Proximal Development instead of The Zone of Actual Development.  They explained that having students continue to work on information that they had already mastered was repetitive and pointless.  They stressed that real learning in literacy takes place in The Zone of Proximal Development where the teacher implements a strategy of teaching and becomes more of a guide.  This strategy that they support is: "I do you watch, I do you help, You do I help, You do I watch."  This strategy not only simplifies a seemingly complicated way of teaching but also stands behind Vygotsky's idea of scaffolding.  This also transforms the teacher into a guide where they guide the child by the hand until they master what is to be learned.
Wilhelm, Baker and Dube also stress how learning should be fun.  If learning is not fun or if students cannot see the correlation between learning and real life they will most likely be uninterested.  Especially if the learning is outside of The Zone of Proximal Development.  One of the theorists named Hillocks argued that the best learning engages students and is fun.  Hillocks also argues that engaged learning works because it is usually challenging and purposeful.  Hillocks said that if students are provided enough support and effective learning techniques they will learn.  The authors also went through and explained different kinds of methods for teaching reading strategies such as cognitive structuring, modeling, questioning, explaining/instructing, feeding back/naming and contingency management.  These two chapters really hit home as to what kind of skills I am trying to learn and master as a future teacher. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karen,
    First, let me say that I really like the visual aspect of your blog. It catches my eye, and in your blog posts you use just the right amount of photos/visual aids to make it easier to follow along. I think you captured the major points stressed in this reading by Wilhelm. I also dedicated the majority of my post to The Zone of Proximal Development. You mentioned that students should constantly be in the zone of proximal development rather than the zone of actual development. I'm glad that you stressed this point because when I was reading it, this concept enlightened me. I never really gave it much thought before, but it is an important piece of information to put in our teacher toolboxes. If the student can already master a skill without the help of the teacher then that student has not learned anything. So, learning occurs in the ZPD and not the ZAD. Great job on your blog post, and I'm looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    I agree with Alex. I like your blog. It's very pleasant and eye catching. I agree with what you talked about if the students are engaged and like the topic they don't retain it. I like Vygotsky's idea of scaffolding. Teaching and guiding a child is very important. Talking at a student seems to shut a lot of students down. Encouraging dialogue is very important in helping to engage the student. I'm sure you will make a very good teacher embodying these ideals.

    ReplyDelete